Sunday, December 21, 2008

Curly Snoe

He was born in the south but may as well have been born in the Midwest because Curly Joe is currently enjoying the hell out of all this snow.

I took this a little before 6:00 this morning.
There's no frolicking in ice storms!

December 15th - it was his first encounter with snow. He had such an adverse reaction to the rainy season starting up, I assumed he would hate snow. Boy, was I wrong. He ran around in it like it was caffeinated or something. Here he is enjoying a new hobby: apple pouncing.



Yes, he did run into me. Full speed.
Incoming

Another one from this morning. That's me!
The bush next to us is covered in ice.


Size comparison. This is Curly Joe in September:
Better than chicken soup.

Three months later (same dog bed).
I think he has doubled in size:


And video! This was before the snow froze over.


As you can see, the boy is doing quite well. My sister is teaching him how to speak; he's pretty damn smart. When I let him out now, he hops around the snow into the spots that he's already created so that he won't have to crash through anymore ice.

One of these days, I'll get him to puppy classes, though he's probably too old now. It's hard finding the time for it; I get off work at 4:30 a.m. and go to bed at 7:00. I need to get on the ball because he WILL be a therapy dog. I have decreed it.

Curly, Tank and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. It's a little bittersweet this year, as it is the first Christmas we've had in 14 years that didn't include at least one of the original Chicago dogs. (Tank doesn't really count because he's from New York.) Still, I'm glad that Tank has a friend to share presents with and that he won't be alone. It has been wonderful to see their friendship progress over the last four months. For myself, I never thought I'd be happy getting another dog after all of this, but I think that it helps that I see so much of Luke, Meathead, Lady and Bernie in Curly Joe. I know it sounds like I'm projecting, but it really is strange how he seems to have a little bit of each of them in his personality, voice and mannerisms. Hell, he even sounds like Chester when he smacks his lips.

With him around, it seems easier to keep the old dogs and their memory closer to the surface.

zzzz

Snack time

Sickbay

Cannon Chester





2 comments:

Adoresixtyfour said...

I know it's no comfort, but the weather is worse back here in Chicago--yesterday, the temperature didn't make it above zero, with winds holding steady at around 20 mph and gusting well above. Today? Not much better. Tomorrow? Another snowstorm.

turtle tracks said...

We've got another storm headed our way, too. I guess this stopped being fun when we graduated high school?

If we weren't homebound with no heat or water, I would actually be pretty happy right now. I haven't seen snow like this in eight years; I really have missed it.

Stay warm out there.